It is easy to get caught up in how much water we should drink, but the more relevant question to ask is “what about the quality?”. When you look at the big picture, state, and federal authorities have done a remarkable job in providing “clean” water for the country as a whole. On the other hand, acknowledging what has been accomplished does not mean that we should close our eyes to the problems that exist.
Keep in mind that the MCLs (maximum contamination levels) that water districts so proudly adhere to merely represent a compromise standard designed to be economically feasible for water districts to meet. The Environmental Working Group’s (EWG) website clearly states the federal government’s legal limits are not health-protective. Certain chemicals in the water supply have no legal limit, some do, and most chemicals are above the EWG’s health guideline and all chemicals have a potential effect of cancer. I will attach the website below where you can enter in your zip code to see the specific chemicals present in your water supply.
The EPA has not set a new tap water standard in almost 20 years and some standards are more than 40 years old. This is pretty alarming since the currently drinking water in the United States contains over 2,100 toxic chemicals that are known to cause cancer, cell mutation, nervous system disorders, and many other autoimmune conditions. With close to 100,000 chemicals now in use and with the introduction of 1,000 new ones each year, it’s impossible for treatment plants to keep up. Each year, at least 400,000 cases of illness can be attributed to contaminated water.
With all due respect for the great job that all the water departments in all of the states and cities do, we recommend stopping all drinking of tap, well, & bottled water. It may not kill you immediately, but as sure as the sun rises in the morning, it will compromise your health over time. Continue reading as solutions will be provided at the end of this article.
Chlorine is the primary disinfectant used to purify drinking water. I am not saying we eliminate chlorine from the purification process, because it controls many water-borne diseases, including typhoid fever, cholera, and dysentery. However, it should be understood that:
- The byproducts of chlorination (such as chloroform dichloro acedic acid, and MX) are all proven carcinogens.
- Chlorine has been strongly implicated as a major factor in the onset of atherosclerosis and its resulting heart attacks and strokes.
- According to the US Council on Environmental Quality, the cancer risk among people drinking chlorinated water is 93% higher than among those whose water does not contain chlorine. There is a higher incidence of cancer of the esophagus, rectum, breast, and larynx and a higher incidence of Hodgkin’s disease among those drinking chlorinated water.
- Chlorine narrows blood vessels that feed the heart, it also narrows the blood vessels that feed the brain.
Fluoride is a potent toxin that accumulates in the body. Each exposure stays in your body and adds to the accumulated levels, that’s the key. We are constantly being exposed to high levels of fluoride other than in our water. It’s in our toothpaste, sprayed in food, present in pharmaceutical drugs ranging from birth control to antibiotics, and soda/alcohol. Once you look at the scope of the problem, you realize that there is no way in the world to determine what your fluoride intake is, but it’s far higher than is healthy.
- The National Institute of Environmental and Health Sciences has shown that fluoride causes cancer.
- Scientists at the Environmental Protection Agency have come out against fluoridation because they have confirmed that it does not reduce tooth decay and that there is clear evidence that fluoride is a carcinogen.
- Fluoridation is also banned in Finland, Holland, Chile, and Japan among others.
- Fluoride is an extremely potent enzyme inhibitor.
New research has revealed that fluoride in drinking water makes the aluminum that we ingest more bioavailable. In the presence of fluoride, more aluminum crosses the blood-brain barrier and is deposited in the brain. As was reported in Brain Research, Vol. 7 84:98, the combination of aluminum and fluoride causes the same pathological changes in brain tissue that are found in Alzheimer’s patients.
These are just a few chemicals that cause disruption in our hormonal and endocrine system. If you are looking to optimize the quality of your life, have more energy, reduce overall stress, sleep better, have a stable mood, improved digestion, or want to be here for your grandkids, changing the quality of your water is an ideal starting point to health.
- Go to a local health food store, buy a 5-gallon BPA/BPS free jug and fill it with Reverse Osmosis or Distilled water. It will only cost a few bucks, while avoiding the harmful estrogenic compounds found in bottled water.
- Opt for water from a higher elevation, drink from glass, and focus on hydration from fresh juice, milk, and fruit. Not only are you hydrating yourself, but you will be getting nutrients at the same time.
- Invest in a reverse osmosis or whole house filtration set up. We recommend this 12-Stage R.O. system that is 3rd party lab tested (direct message for 10% off). You can find others off amazon for cheaper, but be aware that most companies do not do 3rd party lab testing for removal of all chemicals.
- When on the road or out and about, don’t stress over it. Do what you can in the current environment. We are about continuing to optimize our lives and adapt in this unnatural world.
- Most individuals are drinking too much water in our opinion. The amount of water a person needs is extremely variable, depending on things such as metabolic rate, activity, and the temperature and humidity of the air. Opt to shoot for 1-2 liters daily. Closer to 1 liter if you are drinking a fair amount of fresh juice, coffee, broths, and milk.
We have both experimented with drinking over a gallon a day in our heavy lifting/bodybuilding years. This is extremely toxic to the system and kidneys as it puts excessive stress and creates electrolytes imbalances in the body.
Download our free trigger point guide where we teach and educate more in depth on the basics of rebuilding a foundation to health, while mitigating many unknown stressors that could be present in your current lifestyle. Follow us on Instagram: Lamannafitness and Colonna_Fitness, Youtube: Mitigatestress.com & Mitigate Stress 2.0 where we constantly provide more in-depth content for visual learners.
If you have seen value in this article, schedule a FREE stress consultation on the front page of our website or donate down below. At the very least, share this article and our mission with anyone in your close circle that can benefit from becoming the best versions of themselves.
Nick & Nathan