The quality of the water you drink may be more important than how much you consume daily. Here’s Why:
It is easy to get caught up in how much water we should drink, but the more relevant question to ask is, “what about the quality?”. When you look at the big picture, state and federal authorities have done a remarkable job in providing “clean” water for the country as a whole. On the other hand, acknowledging the accomplishments does not mean that we should close our eyes to the problems that exist with our tap water. Keep in mind that the MCLs (maximum contamination levels) that water districts so proudly adhere to merely represent a compromise standard designed to be economically feasible for water districts to meet.
The Environmental Working Group’s (EWG) website clearly states the federal government’s legal limits are not health-protective. Certain chemicals in the water supply have no legal limit. Some do have limitations, but most chemicals are above the EWG’s health guidelines. All of these chemicals have the potential effect of causing cancer.
You can enter your zip code to see the specific chemicals present in your water supply here: https://www.ewg.org/tapwater/
The EPA has not set a new tap water standard in almost 20 years. Some EPA standards are more than 40 years old. This lack of up-to-date standards is pretty alarming since the current drinking water in the United States contains over 2,100 toxic chemicals known to cause cancer, cell mutation, nervous system disorders, and many other autoimmune conditions. With close to 100,000 chemicals now in use and with the introduction of 1,000 new ones each year, treatment plants can’t keep up. Each year, at least 400,000 cases of illness can be attributed to contaminated water.
With all due respect for the great job that all the water departments in all states and cities do, we recommend stopping all drinking of tap, well, & bottled water. It may not kill you immediately, but as sure as the sun rises in the morning, it will compromise your health over time. Keep reading to find out how to solve this problem with the same water filtration system we use.
Chlorine is the primary disinfectant used to purify drinking water. I am not saying we eliminate chlorine from the purification process because it controls many water-borne diseases, including typhoid fever, cholera, and dysentery. However, it should be understood that:
- The byproducts of chlorination (such as chloroform dichloro acetic acid and MX) are all proven carcinogens.
- Chlorine has been strongly implicated as a significant factor in the onset of atherosclerosis and its resulting heart attacks and strokes.
- According to the U.S. Council on Environmental Quality, the risk for developing cancer among people drinking chlorinated water is 93% higher than those whose water does not contain chlorine. There is a higher incidence of cancer of the esophagus, rectum, breast, and larynx and a higher incidence of Hodgkin’s disease among those drinking chlorinated water.
- Chlorine narrows blood vessels that feed the heart; it also narrows the blood vessels that feed the brain.
Fluoride is a potent toxin that accumulates in the body. The key is that every substance exposure stays in your body and builds up over time. We are constantly exposed to high levels of fluoride all around us. It’s in our water, toothpaste, sprayed in food, present in pharmaceutical drugs ranging from birth control to antibiotics. It’s also in soda and alcohol. Once you look at the scope of the problem, you realize that there is no way in the world to determine what your fluoride intake is. Unfortunately, it’s far higher than is healthy.
- The National Institute of Environmental and Health Sciences has shown that fluoride causes cancer.
- Scientists at the Environmental Protection Agency have come out against fluoridation because they have confirmed that it does not reduce tooth decay and because there is clear evidence that fluoride is a carcinogen.
- Among other places, fluoridation is banned in Finland, Holland, Chile, and Japan.
- Fluoride is an extremely potent enzyme inhibitor.
New research has revealed that fluoride in drinking water makes the aluminum that we ingest more bioavailable. When fluoride is present, more aluminum crosses the blood-brain barrier and accumulates in the brain. The combination of aluminum and fluoride caused the same pathological changes in brain tissue as those observed in Alzheimer’s patients, according to a study published in Brain Research, Vol. 7 84:98.
These are just a few chemicals that disrupt our hormonal and endocrine systems. If you are looking to optimize the quality of your life, have more energy, reduce overall stress, sleep better, have a stable mood, improve digestion, or want to be here for your grandkids, changing the quality of your water is an ideal starting point to health.
- Go to a local health food store, buy a 5-gallon BPA/BPS-free jug and fill it with Reverse Osmosis or Distilled water. It will only cost a few bucks while avoiding the harmful estrogenic compounds found in bottled and tap water.
- Opt for water from a higher elevation, drink from a glass cup or jug, and focus on hydration from fresh-squeezed juice w/ raw cream, raw dairy, and fruit. Not only will you be hydrating yourself, but you will also be getting nutrients and vitamins at the same time.
- Invest in a water filtration setup that uses reverse osmosis or whole house filtration setup. We recommend this 12-Stage R.O. system and shower filter that is 3rd party lab tested (Use code: MGS for 10% off). You can find others off amazon for cheaper, but be aware that most companies do not do 3rd party lab testing for the removal of all chemicals.
- Don’t stress over it when on the road or out and about. Do what you can in the current environment.
- Most individuals are drinking too much water, in our opinion. The amount of water a person needs is highly variable, depending on metabolic rate, activity, temperature and humidity of the air, etc. We shoot for 1-2 liters daily while listening to our bodies. Remember, feeling dehydrated could also mean your body is looking for raw fats mixed with a bit of raw honey. You may need closer to 1 liter if you drink a fair amount of fresh juice, coffee, broths, and milk.
We experimented with drinking over a gallon a day in our heavy lifting/bodybuilding years. Drinking this much is extremely toxic to the digestive and nervous system and the kidneys as it creates excessive stress electrolytes imbalances in the body.
Our favorite company (Omica Organics), whom we support on water filters, is coming out with a filtration system a tad more expensive than the ones listed above but will pump water 5.5x faster with no needed storage tank like most R.O. systems. Be sure to subscribe if you are not already to stay updated on our most recent products, fitness, and company information.
Nick & Nathan
* This post contains affiliate link(s) or codes. An affiliate link or code means I may earn advertising/referral fees if you make a purchase through my link, without any extra cost to you. It helps to keep our small business afloat. Thanks for your support.