Have you tried some form of magnesium but haven’t seen much results? You may be burning through your magnesium levels faster than you are replenishing.
This is very common for most of us as we live in a world where we can be unaware of habits that deplete it.
Here is a list of 10 habits, drugs, and environmental stressors to watch out for:
- Alcohol causes magnesium depletion due to its diuretic effect.
- Antacids counteract stomach acid, decreasing magnesium absorption.
- Acid rain is high in nitric acid, which draws calcium and magnesium out of the soil to try and neutralize the acidity and consequently depletes the soil of these minerals
- Caffeine causes magnesium depletion with its diuretic effect. It also stimulates the adrenal glands, causing adrenaline surges and magnesium loss.
- Most drugs cause magnesium depletion. This is true of drugs containing fluorine atoms.
- Junk foods, especially processed sugar products, drain magnesium. The liver needs twenty-eight atoms of magnesium to process one molecule of glucose. Fructose requires fifty-six atoms of magnesium.
- Oxalic acid (found in rhubarb, spinach, and chard) and phytic acid (found in cereals, grains, and soy) block the absorption of magnesium.
- Too much sauna therapy for weight loss, detox, or to stay healthy can cause enough mineral loss through sweating to create magnesium deficiency symptoms.
- Tannins in tea bind and remove minerals, including magnesium.
- Unsaturated fatty acids alter cell wall integrity, making the cell walls more rigid, which affects receptor site function and prevents the flow of nutrients in or out of cells.
Sometimes when we are stuck seeing results in our health journey, we need to start removing habits that push our bodies into a stressed state.
We hope you found some value in this content! If you have seen value in our content, please share it with a friend or on your social media platforms.
If you need more magnesium during your day, be sure to check out our magnesium bicarbonate products! We have developed them to be highly absorbable and easy to use.